Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas Markets and Art - the magic of Vienna

There are many Christkindlmarkts in Vienna.  This particular one below was in between the KHM (one of the best art museums I've visited yet - the Hapsburgs were quite the collectors) and the NHM which I did not visit this time.  At this market, I bought a beautiful ring.  It looks like a Pomellato knockoff, with Swarovski crystals.  After wandering around the market, I walked over to the the Leopold gallery...  so delightful.  That day the KHM and the Leopold were open late although I visited before it was too late in the day. 

The first print is one of Kolo Moser's iconic posters.  Kolo was a founder of Secessionism with Klimt.  The second is Paul Klee, "Diana", from 1931, and the last is Claude Monet of course. 

Only the Kolo piece is "native" to the museum, the other two were from the Beyeler Fondation in Basel Switzerland.  The Leopold was hosting several important pieces of art from the Beyeler Fondation.  What a stroke of luck to see them.  I now feel I must go to Basel. 

Canon 7D.







4 comments:

Carole Barkett said...

Just found you thanks to your visit to my blog, what wonderful photos. I can't wait to go through past posts

Marka said...

European Christmas markets are always a blast!

Merisi said...

This is the Christmas Village between the Museum of the History of Art and the Natural History Museum, with the monument of Empress Maria Theresia at its center and the Imperial Palace in the background.

I have not been there myself yet. Today if the first day of Christmas break, I hope to catch up and visit at least some of the markets soon!

Rowena said...

LOVE the xmas markets in Europe, even if the only ones I've been to are the italian ones. An absolute must whenever we go to these things is hanging out at the vin brulè stand. A hot cup of that and some dumplings or sweet pastry and I'm in heaven!

Related Posts with Thumbnails