Thursday, February 24, 2011

Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi

Taken randomly from my flickr account today.  Just this morning someone "favorited" this photo I took of the ceiling of the Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi and I thought I'd share it with you.  It was taken in Assisi shortly after the New Year three years ago.  I had to add quite a bit of light in post processing.  This was in no small part due to the fact that the original was taken without flash and quite surreptitously as I walked out the door!  In the original you could see blues and greens but rather dark.

The Basilica, and in particular the ceiling, was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1997.  They managed to restore it in record time and the Basilica was reopened only two years later.




2 comments:

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Oh my! The colors are those of gemstones... I have always loved the ceiling of the lower chapel of Sainte-Chapelle which has deep rich colors in detail patterns, but I think that this one may be more exquisite... love this and your "light repair" worked quite well!

Bises,
Genie

Elizabeth said...

Would you believe I have that photo as well - stay tuned, just a second~

Related Posts with Thumbnails