Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Capri: an early morning stroll on Via Krupp

Good morning!

This set of photos was taken early one morning in May.  It was the morning I had to catch the ferry back to the mainland to continue on with the Amalfi Coast portion of my trip.  I had exactly one hour for one last exploration from the time I walked out of the hotel after breakfast until I walked back in to collect my personal items and head to the funicular to take me down to the harbor.  The hotel porter had already taken my luggage that morning.  Off I went.

At this point I hadn't even heard of Via Krupp.  My destination was going to be the Giardini di Augusto to see if it was open.  They are a five minute walk from the hotel and I admired the views of them from the hotel balcony each morning. 



During my stroll I saw the village kitty whom I had petted the night before.  I wandered down the lane towards the gardens and saw that they were 20 minutes from opening.  The path continued past the entrance, through an archway, and once I crossed through the archway look what I saw!





(Yes I think that is probably my hand and camera.  I left it in because it made me giggle).

Via Krupp, all pictured below, was built at the dawn of the 20th century by German industrialist Friedrich Alfred Krupp.  According to Wiki (take that for what it's worth) it was a path he built between his hotel the Grand Hotel Quisisana and the Marina Piccola where he apparently had a marine biology center.  I also just learned that he did not enjoy his path for very long, sadly, he committed suicide in 1902.  A reminder that we all carry burdens, many of them unseen. 

What I did know, at that moment in time, is that I was almost alone but for a few other walkers coming the other direction from Marina Piccola, the weather was crisp, clear and just perfect, the sun wasn't very high in the sky, the waves were crashing below and the seagulls were keening as they circled.  I walked down its loop-di-loop path about 2/3 of the way to the bottom and just watched and listened (while I took these photos).  Had I known about this path before the morning I was leaving I would have walked all the way to Marina Piccola.

How many delights can such a small island hold?  What else will I find on my next visit?
















These last two were actually taken from the Gardens of Augustus. 



1 comment:

BellaItaliaCampania said...

Oh Beth.....take me there RIGHT NOW! I was in Capri last year and didn't even know about Via Krupp - should have read my Lonely Planet guide book more thoroughly!
Your photos are just stunning and thanks again for sharing. LOVE X 1000
Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails